Now that it is October, it's about time to reminisce about the South Dakota family reunion portion of our awesome western trip.
We got to reunite with Doug, Joletta, Andrea, Steve and Jack in SD. Stopping in Wall, SD was "America's favorite roadside attraction." We have the free bumper sticker to prove it. Maybe you can spot it in a photo later when the sticker returns in this post. Parts of the travel felt almost as chaotic as this picture, but we had lots of fun!
Paul brings renewed meaning to the word "tourist."
See?A bystander's review: What is that baby doing holding a baby?
There were respectable rock formations to explore on foot . . .
The Needles Highway was spectacular and recreational!
Since I know that scenery photos without people in them can be impersonal and reproduce-able, here's what everyone else looked like (including Doug and Joletta in the background) while I took the next photo.
Yes, all five of us were all together in Custer State Park for the reunion.
Yes! We did get to see bison. You might not be able to tell because she is so discreet, but the one to the right is letting her calf nurse in the road. I've fed my babies in some bizarre places, but I think she wins. The boys taught respect of these creatures by frequently reminding everyone "Buffalo are dangerous. Do not approach." (written on the Custer State Park pamphlet.)
Thanks to my friend Paula's willingness to recover old brochures, Micah got to become a Jr. Paleontologist at a mammoth dig!
Paul and Jack got some paleontology practice on reproductions, too.
Paul got to reconnect with his Uncle Boo-Boo!
The reason for our trip was a reunion for Joletta's family, remember? Just below our cabin was this breathtaking spot. Uncle Boo Boo (aka Darryl) clearly loves his nephew and niece and their boys so much!
After seeing what he's capable of doing, I guess I won't mind repainting our door frames a second or third time that Monkey Micah has been using to practice climbing. I'm not sure if you can tell that he was up high enough for me to walk under him.
Mount Rushmore recovered from being covered by fog just in time for our family's arrival.
Have I mentioned how refreshing it was to be with Anthony and our sons?
Crazy horse will be really big!

Beautifully refreshing Black Hills!
Yes, all five of us were all together in Custer State Park for the reunion.There were so many cool places to explore around rocks filled with Mica. Muscovite Micah and Ponderosa Pine Paul had great superhero adventures reclaiming the world.
Sam's first rock climbing adventure went well thanks to Micah's responsibility. The boys had fun with their cousin Jack.
After coming home from this big western trip, Micah and Paul often reminisced that a highlight was getting to stay at this cabin. I found enough Ponderosa pine sticks and mica-filled rocks to build our own cabin, too. Reducing, reusing and recycling is brought to a new level by scavenging for toys!
Yes! We did get to see bison. You might not be able to tell because she is so discreet, but the one to the right is letting her calf nurse in the road. I've fed my babies in some bizarre places, but I think she wins. The boys taught respect of these creatures by frequently reminding everyone "Buffalo are dangerous. Do not approach." (written on the Custer State Park pamphlet.)Thanks to my friend Paula's willingness to recover old brochures, Micah got to become a Jr. Paleontologist at a mammoth dig!
Paul and Jack got some paleontology practice on reproductions, too.Paleontologists are researching 32 mammoths in this sink hole!
Paul got to reconnect with his Uncle Boo-Boo!I am pretty certain that I have a sweet photo of each of our boys enjoying Grandma Jo's kisses. I didn't want to delay this post longer to recover the comparable photos, so here's version 3.0.
The reason for our trip was a reunion for Joletta's family, remember? Just below our cabin was this breathtaking spot. Uncle Boo Boo (aka Darryl) clearly loves his nephew and niece and their boys so much!Do you see the family resemblance?
No, Uncle Boo Boo is not officially part of the Remmich family, but we sure were happy that he came to laugh with us! I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures of the actual reunited Remmichs, but there were lots of organized family photos taken by others.
No, Uncle Boo Boo is not officially part of the Remmich family, but we sure were happy that he came to laugh with us! I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures of the actual reunited Remmichs, but there were lots of organized family photos taken by others. Such memories of Anthony and his son sharing awe that the boulder isn't falling on them aren't replaceable.
After seeing what he's capable of doing, I guess I won't mind repainting our door frames a second or third time that Monkey Micah has been using to practice climbing. I'm not sure if you can tell that he was up high enough for me to walk under him.Every western trip needs a wildflower photo for my mom. I seem to remember seeing my Grandma's western wildflower photos.
Mount Rushmore recovered from being covered by fog just in time for our family's arrival.The four former presidents are about to be replaced by our four future presidents.
Have I mentioned how refreshing it was to be with Anthony and our sons?Yes, we did get close enough to see up their noses. Yes, Micah can tell you about each of these presidents. Yes, this landmark is the respectable accomplishment of hard workers that I thought it would be.
Crazy horse will be really big!Getting to spend time with Uncle Boo Boo was irreplaceable!



















No comments:
Post a Comment