Monday, March 11, 2013

Papa

Sam's first movie theater experience (and my first in 5 years) was great! We watched a beautiful documentary about the monarch butterflies' incredible migration.
Science documentaries inspire science experiments; no, Samuel didn't float away.
Things that have become normal #28: beautiful pergolas in the center of every town. This one is "ours" -- in our town of Villa de Álvarez.
El Día de Amor y Amistad (Valentine's Day) was a great day for me in this park; I got to share the love of Jesus with an elderly woman who sat down next to me, began to cry and share her story with me.
In case if you, like I, were wondering what a Cabalgata during los Festejos Charrotaurinos looks like, check out the following photos.
 Things that have become normal #29: having most people in the parades stare at our sons.

Our boys and Darla even got multiple offers for rides.
There were approximately one thousand horses in the parade one of the days we went. (It happened nearly every day for two weeks.)
The giant puppets are "Mohigangos." A person is inside of the bamboo frame, twisting and swinging the puppet. It was also amazing to watch the construction of the stands the previous week.
Things that have become normal #30 and 31: beautiful costumes and beers in parade riders' hands.
 Paul got to ride with Andrea at her birthday party.
 Things that have become normal #32 and 33: big, fun, birthday parties and lining up by height in piñata lines.
How do you think Sam feels after hitting a pinata?
The boys call Harold "Papa." Papá with the accent on the second syllable means dad, but papa means potato or the Pope. We are voting for Harold to be the latter.
Things that have become normal #34: Paul's new fruit guamuchile; he harvests them from the school trees and we eat the white part. The closest thing I can compare them to is jicama, which is #35, since we eat it often.
No, I did not make Harold go into the bull-fighting stadium (La Petatera), but isn't it a cool structure?
La Petatera is made entirely of wood, rope and rush mats. There is not a single piece of metal in it; a mexican version of timber-framing!? They disassemble and reassemble it every year.
One of the highlights of Harold's visit seemed to be seeing how much his grandsons had grown.
Our Spanish tutor Carmen was excited to spend a day with Harold and us. He got to be the rose among thorns.
How many different colors of bougainvillea blooms can share one square foot?
We gave the responsibility of the final approval of the freshly caught fish for our beach-front lunch to "the new Papa." He has good taste, since it was some of the best fish I have ever had (grilled with adobo sauce.)
That responsibility might have been more than Harold could handle on vacation.
Harold managed to wear a pair of Anthony's flip-flops for a portion of one day. I think the review went something like, "It would be hard to part with these if only I had some super-glue." - The new Papa.
Little Chief Tenderfoot can't handle the hot, black, volcanic sand beach of Tecomán like his papá can.
But who can resist a walk-by jewelry salesman with a smile like that?

I think I almost have the new Papa convinced to buy this property instead of heading off to Rome.
Visiting El Salto waterfall was the highlight of the boys' time with Papa.
He didn't really sleep through it.
Water and rocks are amazing creations!
I love my son Paul.
Okay, I love all four of my adventurers.
But did I mention that I love Paul?
The adventurers discovered this tree,
this cave,
and this waterfall.
I love living life with Anthony.

El Salto waterpark
was great fun for the boys. 
I think that #36, seeing the volcano smoking, even became normal for Harold during his short visit.
So did #37, the inflatable toy venders on the golden sand beach of La Boquita. 
We spent a beautiful Saturday together.
It is amazing what Sam and Paul can accomplish.
Micah, Paul and I walked to "where the river meets the sea," like the Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas song.
While Paul and Micah snorkled with a new friend, Sam "swam" (if you can call it that with a pfd) proudly after them.
My mom had wanted me to add this photo to the things that have become normal list, so #38 is housing developments like this one.
#39: delicious popsicles that taste like frozen fruit.

After hearing Harold tell the story of how very excited several of our new little friends have been to receive books as gifts from us, one of Harold's parishioners, Mickee, generously sent many bilingual books and many books in Spanish for the children of Casa Cuna and Casa Matriz.

This photo is for D'Anna.
Micah reads Spanish well enough to capture the kids' attention,
but they were super happy when they got to hold the books themselves. Thank you, Mickee!
Micah also read a few books to Charis, who is just his age.
How many books can be read at one time? They were excited about all of them.
Too bad they were asking Harold to read one of the books that is all Spanish!
He is just so much fun to play on/with regardless!
Casa Matriz kids wanted to hold books for a "thank you" photo for Mickee.
Darla has said that the books have been borrowed from her with eagerness.
I am so grateful for what God is doing through the ministry of Hogar Amor in the lives of many children.
Micah's friend Alan and his family let us come to his family birthday party to celebrate. What a wonderful, loving family this great kid has (and not just because they eagerly take cute photos of him.)
#40: Seeing men change billboards very frequently.
#41: The new school now feels normal. Can you see the progress of the ultra-cool tree house?

1 comment:

pierces2china said...

Looks like you guys are having an incredible time in Mexico. It is really good to see pictures of Harold he looks like he is really enjoying the grandkids. We are praying for you guys

God Bless

Jason & Julie