Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Feet Covered by Grace

Especially around Mother's Day, it seemed like there were a lot of blog posts from moms admitting that they and their families are not perfect. Just in case if you were wondering, Anthony and I are sinners saved by Grace. That Grace enables me to have a picture of Legos that I built with Samuel after I cleaned the floors, giving the impression that life is always blissful.
But many days, I just don't get my feet moving early enough in the morning to do his hair or put away the cleaning bucket before we get out the door.
Does anyone want to diagnose the problem with Samuel's feet? Do you know that I don't really like feet?
It was Grace at work in Micah's heart that caused him to say, "Mom! Come quick and get a picture! Paul looks like a teenager!" For me, Paul's backpack, The Hobbit, and Paul's feet add to the teenager effect. 
I know that I'll love him when he is a teenager, but I'm tempted to freeze Paul like this, with his feet buried. 
Too bad the sand didn't hold him.
By God's Grace, I have this adorable friend Adriana who has taught Alma and me to make mole with chicken, arroz blanco, and mostachon. Yes, it is just as delicious as it looks!
By God's Grace, Adriana has three great boys (whom our boys adore)
and Manuel is a wonderful friend to Anthony. The carne asada out of the clay pots was delicious, too.
If you have never been to a park in México, you wouldn't understand that when we arrived at this park on Cinco de Mayo, we were surprised that "there wasn't too much going on." We had a great time playing with our friends Esley and Joel from Texas. Their parents are planting a church here. "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns.'" (Isaiah 52:7)
Micah's feet are nearly as big as mine; he wore my shoes to the Día del Niño party at school. Seeing the dry ground after 7 months without rain, you can imagine how dirty our feet get. It brings the story of Jesus washing the disciples' feet (and asking us to follow him in that service) to new light. What grace!
Micah was in charge of the Monday morning school ceremony two weeks ago. His job included telling everyone when to salute the Mexican flag.
Micah's Maestra Edith shared this picture of Micah eating the moon's phases. Another friend felt like she had been tricked all of her life to believe that the moon is made of cheese, when it is actually an Oreo!
Speaking of Maestras, last Wednesday was Maestra's Day. I wasn't there, but I like this picture of Micah and Paul's grace-filled teachers.

The boys' school put on a precious program for Día de Las Mamás. As you can imagine, our boys stand out in a crowd here, so it often feels as though everyone is watching our good and bad moves. 
For instance, sometimes Samuel smiles,

but sometimes he is so very tired.

Thanks to my friend Michelle, I have this photo of Paul singing like he was supposed to,
but sometimes he was whispering to his buddies on stage.
Samuel recited parts of this refrain with the other preschoolers, "Tú sabes mamita cuanto te quiero, te lo he dicho mil veces sólo con besos, pero hoy es tu día yo rompo el silencio: !Te quiero mamita, así hasta el cielo!" (My Translation: You know, mommy, how much I love you. I have told you a thousand times only with kisses, but today is your day so I break the silence. I love you mommy all the way to the sky!)
With my dirty feet covered by abundant grace, I am loved hasta el cielo!
We had special guests for Mother's Day and all 6 children ate their carrots, green beans, cucumbers and pineapple so eagerly that I may have been silly enough to say, "No, you may not have a third helping of vegetables until you eat your hot dog."
It turns out that it is possible to take a picture while trying to get far enough away from a 5 year old who wants me to pick her up rather than take photos.
Of course we went to the beach for a beautiful Saturday with 6 kids.
What fun we had!
I can only hope to make up for all of the blurry photos that I post with one that captures such detail.
The brother who didn't think he wanted to go to the beach loved getting his feet in the sand and water!
We are blessed. What Grace.
Paul's brothers turned him into a spaceship.
Then they turned the 7 year old into a mermaid.
The little sister was turned into a queen while I built a castle with her brother.
By grace, this big sister was amazingly sweet to Sam!
She helped him walk across the slippery deck countless times.

Also by Grace, Micah was a patiently attentive big brother to the little sister.
What facial expressions!
"El Tiburón" caught the brother!
These two are just one week apart and enjoyed time together.
Our nephew Mark provided some great entertainment via Skype, since he is such an adorable baby. Even his feet are cute.
The popsicle tradition continues every 21 days. Sam's commentary about this photo just now was, "PALETAS! Aye... se cayó mi paleta." (He seems equally comfortable with Spanish and English now.) Translation: Popsicles! Oh no ... my popsicle fell.
To say that we love these precious children of God is an understatement! I wish that I got to spend more than Mother's Day weekend with them.
Micah's soccer team tied the number 1 team in the cup; they both get to go to the national tournament. Too bad we will already be in the USA.

Micah's feet seem to be getting the hang of this sport, but the stinky feet have already begun.
Micah must have gotten his eye on the ball in time, because he stole this header.
Micah got to play the whole game with the championship on the line. He has come such a long way!
Do you see what I mean about standing out in the crowd such that people know whether or not you are paying attention to the coach? 
Even the soccer team celebrated Mother's Day with cake and pop.
By Grace, Micah and Ricardo are well-matched friends in the same class at school. 
Atlas vs. Chivas is the classic Guadalajara rivalry, which Micah and Ricardo got to taste last Saturday.
My friend Noemi (ironically from Guadalajara) and I got into the classic rivalry of her town, too.  I often say that I am surprised at how much I enjoy being a soccer mom. Even when it costs so much of my time and leaves me wondering if I am using my time "significantly," it is good for all of us.
Some (rare) times, Sam allows sweet girls who love his blonde hair to be in his personal space. 
Some (rare) times, the little brothers watch and cheer for their big brothers' feet!
Luke 7:44-50 Then turning toward the woman [Jesus] said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven." ...and he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." ...and he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

2 comments:

un peque�o recordatorio said...

Me encanta todo lo que escribes... Los amamos... Claudia, Mau, ALan y Emiliano.. Se que mis hijos extrañaran a tus chiquitos.

Julie said...

Beautiful grace-filled post. Being a soccer mom was probably one of the BEST ways to spend your time.