Paul
Micah
The boys enjoyed Niagara Falls more than I thought they would. Even with the weather, they kept good attitudes. (In contrast, I remember my brother and I saying about this sight, "We are sure glad we didn't make a special trip.")
We Tongens didn't make a special trip either, but it was neat to see the big waterfall. Micah has enjoyed telling people that we saw both Mexico and Cananda during 4 months. It's true! (October: Arizona/Mexico border, January: New York/Canada border.)
I loved bringing my boys to my Alma Mater, even though it is just for girls.
I hadn't been back to campus since graduation in 1999.
My beloved continues to be a "good sport" putting up with me at Mount Holyoke College.
I never would have imagined my future life the many times I crossed this bridge to my freshman and senior year dorms. I never would have imagined how quickly life would change so significantly. I never would have imagined how much I would love my husband and sons. I never would have imagined how much greater God's grace is than I imagine.
This was a surreal, happy spot for me, momentarily bringing together my past and my future.
By far the best part of our Mount Holyoke visit was getting to spend time with Aldo Santiago, my tennis coach. He was and continues to be a great encouragement to me.
We also went to the Eric Carle Museum, which was cool. We especially liked the hands-on art opportunities and an exhibit about Jackie Robinson.We couldn't be so close without going to visit my cousin Erin and Nathan in their great new home in Concord, New Hampshire. I hope Aunt Marilyn appreciates the continued popularity of the diapered turtle!
The boys and I also had an amazing day with my cousin Karen in Boston. We even got to see her fabulous photography display in a Harvard gallery. Karen's talent must have rubbed off onto Micah, who successfully took this picture! By the way, Micah decided that he wants to go to Harvard because they have so many libraries.
In contrast to our easy trip out west in October including wide-open spaces, time as a whole family, eating outside and camping in a tent, the Boston trip was harder: staying out of the way of busy people on crowded sidewalks, Anthony being busy at a conference, quietly eating in restaurants, and struggling to fall asleep in a hotel room. Therefore, our visit included a trip to the emergency room to have Sam's head glued shut after he disobediently jumped on the bed and into the corner of the table.Our Paul enjoyed the Paul Revere sights of Boston. We actually had a nice enough day to walk nearly the whole Freedom Trail! Those tough boys put some miles on their shoes!
The skywalk of the Prudential Tower was a highlight for the boys.
Make Way for Ducklings, by Robert McCloskey continues to be one of our favorite books, so the statues in Boston Public Garden were especially cherished. If it hadn't taken me 30 pictures to get this one, I would have claimed that Karen's talent rubbed off on me too, since this is my favorite picture in a long time.
While Anthony was giving presentations about his chaotic sandwheel research, his sons were doing some waterwheel research at the unbeatable Boston Children's Museum. I remember loving it as a child, too.
Back home in January and February, the boys did another science experiment with Anthony (who grew his hair long for a couple of months.)
We had fun playing with Katya one day
and enjoyed our own children's museum another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment