Saturday, November 17, 2012

Life is Short


Life is short. Play hard. Actually, this occasion was more like: Life is short. Pray hard, play soccer, worship a lot, and dance the night away. Our church had its annual Festival de los Tabernaculos at the beautiful location for Instituto Adonai's new campus. Micah and Paul were playing soccer with friends behind the boys' new school that will supposedly be ready in January.
In case if you were wondering like Anthony and I were, yes, Micah has enough Spanish words to talk with his friend Oscar without limit. I'm afraid I didn't get any good pictures of people's ingenuity displayed in their tents/tabernacles, mostly including tarps, hammocks, and branches. The Tabernacle event, which coincided with Dia de Muertos celebrations, was a good reminder that we are just here (in México, in the desert for 40 years after the Exodus, and on the earth in general) for a short time. Are we storing up treasures in heaven?  
I am beginning my list of things that are now normal. #1 - avoiding piles of construction material while playing fútbol. 
Life is short. Drink piña coladas on the beach with your beloved
and eat fish with its head and tail attached.
Life is short. Enjoy your baby teeth. Paul's two middle bottom teeth are not long for this world, so I wanted one more photo of his baby teeth smile.
If life is a beach, heaven must be an even more amazing beach (in God's presence!!!)
La Boquita was crowded even though it was a Friday because it was Dia de Muertos and kids didn't have school.
Life is short. Make friends quickly and easily, even in Español.
We have enjoyed several sleep-overs with Darla and D'Anna, complete with U.S. breakfasts like baked oatmeal.

We continued to go to the fair as often as possible while it was here for 3 weeks to eat gorditas, tortas, algodón (cotton candy), cajeta, tortas con pastor. These surprisingly beautiful Calavera Catrinas (elegant skulls) are a reminder that life is short, even for the rich and beautiful.
The decoration on the floor, including the bird, is made from beans, salt and rice! Marigolds were everywhere and people left offerings remembering deceased loved ones and what they liked. Without knowing any better or experiencing much of it, I would compare Dia de Muertos to Memorial Day plus color.
Life is short. Remain childlike, like D'Anna and Darla.
Do you see why people think these kids are twins?
Diario de Colima headline on November 7: "Obama: Quatro Años Mas"
Things that are now normal #2 - People selling newspapers, flowers, vegetables, etc. to cars stopped at red lights. #3 Bulletin boards changing every 2 weeks.
Life is short. Praise God for the sunsets and sunrises near our house.
I liked this backdrop for the Mariachi bands because it shows so many of the things that have become normal: #4 seeing our volcanoes, #5 seeing colonial churches, #6 driving around roundabouts with impressive statues and #7 eating deliciously fresh fruit (even in November)
Last Saturday, we went on a hike up La Cumbre. 
Life is short. Enjoy time with my husband. Here's one of his funny stories lately: "I have been teaching my class this semester primarily in English.  One of the other professors had a week where he lectured in English as well.  After that week of lectures from him (he is from México), they told me that I had a hard to understand English accent.  I told them that I was pretty sure I wasn't the one with the accent :)" -- Anthony
Samuel's time as a little boy is short.
These boys were the first to the top, since they took the "alto" trail.
Aside from our clothes (if you knew this picture was taken in November) would you be able to tell that we are not in the Shenandoah Valley?
Things that have become normal #8 Seeing this sweet D'Anna smile.
Life is short. Go paragliding. Boy, do Anthony and I want to!
For now, we had the cool experience of watching four other people fly.
Life is short. Take the "alto" trail. 

No comments: