Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I Spy . . . Blondes in Oaxaca

WAY back in July, we met up with a team of great people from Covenant Presbyterian Church to serve together in the southern state of Oaxaca, Mexico.
 Oaxaca and its people are beautiful!
As soon as we got to the little mountain town of San Bartolome, Joe jumped right into putting his finishing touches on the church's brand new tortilla oven.
 A hilarious game of musical chairs enabled Micah to have friends instantly. Please note the expressions on the faces of Drew and Anna.
The game of "I Spy the blonde" has begun. Can you spot three sleeping Tongen boys? Yes, this arrangement was normal for a week. Yes, the lights were on and people were getting stuff out of their bags around these kids.
Anthony served the kids (including the three blondes) tirelessly. His days were full of children, mostly in this "courtyard" of the church.

How about this jump for timing? Paul (the short one) has got it. Isn't this photo by Kayla impressive?
Can you spy Samuel spying on the women when they finally got a chance to sit down in the dining room, after being in the kitchen all-day, everyday?
Paul loved to help with building the church building,
 but I think Erik and Drew were a little more helpful.
 Paul was very comfortable in San Bartolome.
 Jumping rope is even more fun on the town's basketball court.
 Samuel followed Paul's lead in helping to build the church building.
 Paul made good friends in a short time.
Our site's Vacation Bible School (one of three) was big and excellent! Kellie did a great job of leading.
 Eager kids, including three blondes, waited every morning for VBS to start.
 Kids had great opportunities to lead the other kids in prayer, Bible memory, singing, and other fun.

The kids were extra attentive when the mimes performed. 
We were able to give school supplies (including coloring books from Claudia and Mauricio) to the
hundreds of kids who came to VBS.
 I loved seeing our sons join into whatever the children of San Bartolome were doing.

How breathtaking is that view?
It was amazing for the women to see the menfolk take over the kitchen to make mole! After stirring for a long time, Anthony's hands were even tough enough to flip the tortillas over the fire. Yes, I am proud of my husband.
Since Anthony and other men were baling me out of the kitchen, I took the opportunity to climb up the scaffolding to the construction site of the church.
Yes, my girlfriends were laughing at me. Several claimed that they would have joined me, if they weren't all wearing skirts.
Drew caught this photo of me laughing with Tabitha's husband about how the gentlemen put the ladder there after I had shimmied the wooden pole that I am holding. Granted, I was thankful for it for climbing back down!

They are building the new church building around the old. They are increasing the size because their worship services are overflowing, sometimes causing people to stand in the rain to hear the sermon.
 Micah helped the men wash dishes after the mole meal they cooked.
I love this image of the men laughing so hard while dish-washing. During the week, I loved seeing Cov. Pres. dads (Joe, Anthony and Greg) serving alongside of their sons and daughters.

Angelica even got to put her feet up for a minute!
 It comes as no surprise that Kyle is a hero for our boys.
A couple of evenings, we were able to go visit the homes of a few of our friends and have home church worship services. Anthony and Drew gave some great sermons.
I enjoyed being able to help make tamales. With my new-found ability to speak Spanish and an increased understanding of Mexican cooking, I was able to be much more helpful in the kitchen this year. It did cause me to feel like I was spread thin at times with VBS responsibilities and of course still being a mom, but I learned a lot about myself.
 The farewell worship service was full of gratitude in at least three directions (to God, to San Bartolome brothers and sisters, and to us.)
Laede is Samuel's little friend. I got to give a Bible talk to the women one day and her mom Mikaela translated what I said in Spanish into Zapotec. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to skip English on our way to Zapotec.
 The youth gatherings also went great.
 Micah and his friends enjoyed tamales and atole together as they said "goodbye."
 Paul and Emiliano were buddies. The next six photos were taken at 5 am, when the whole church came to send us off.
I hope that it is apparent how all three of our boys are extremely well-loved in San Bartolome. It seemed to make a very positive impact in both directions to demonstrate that we are willing to share our children.
 You might not believe me that this picture shows just a fraction of the people who came out at 5 in the morning. Can you spy the end of the road?
Micah and Paul were nearly always surrounded by their friends.
 I am so thankful for beautiful San Bartolome and brothers of the church,
some of whom rode in the back of the cattle truck for a few hours to make sure that our bus didn't get stuck.
 Micah formed a special bond with Pastor Constantino's family,
 Paul formed a special bond with Pastor Joe,

and Samuel formed a special bond with Pastor Jacinto.
 We all love Angelica dearly. We miss her a lot.
The day came when we had to load our bags and fly "home," if you can call it that, considering that these three would have liked to have stayed in their adopted home of Mexico.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Megan, what a sweet post! I found my heart swelling seeing the familiar faces and how the church in Oaxaca has grown. How sweet to be able to share your boys with the people there and for your boys to make friends there. And the view from San Bartolome is truly breathtaking! I am in awe just thinking of it. Thanks for sharing all these pictures and rekindling my love of these friends from a distance!

Julie said...

This makes my heart smile so big. Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

This makes my heart smile. Thanks for sharing.