Here is my favorite picture so far of 2014. It represents a happy weekend in Paris, France.
We went to Paris with the JMU program. I suspect some of the moms of JMU students will start to wonder who this smiling kid is who poses for their daughter's pictures.Micah liked this Notre Dame, as opposed to the one in Indiana.
In Sainte-Chapelle, Micah asked me, "Does New Orleans use the same fleur-de-lis of France because of the war of 1812?" Me: "You'll have to ask my mom." (Don't moms always know the answers to questions?)
Pictures don't do justice to the beauty of the sun shining through the windows of this chapel.
Then again, can a picture do justice to the beauty of brothers sharing the last drop of chocolate?
I was not able to take any pictures of the art in the Musée d'Orsay, but I was thankful for the board book my Aunt Elaine gave baby Micah (and consequently the other two Tongen babies) of Monet paintings. The boys were as excited as I was to see Monet's beautiful art that they recognized.
Since I am on the theme of pictures doing justice, I actually think the Eiffel Tower turns out better in pictures than in real-life.
Even though it is north of us, spring felt closer in Paris than it does in Salamanca.
Sam stayed up late, walked all day long, managed to behave well in grown-up museums and restaurants and missed naps. He was allowed to be a bit grumpy.
Thanks to tips from my friend Jill, we were able to enjoy a few moments of kid-friendly time.
Is there romance in the air? Micah wins first price for the best Eiffel Tower picture.
The second place features the largest cotton candy of Anthony's life.
Exhibit A proves that cotton candy does not provide sustained energy for walking many miles.
Paul and Sam's highlight of Paris was watching the twinkling lights on the Eiffel Tower from the Arc de Triomphe.
Micah's highlight was the statue of Athena in the Louvre (that picture is too blurry, so this picture with sculptures by some guy named Michelangelo will have to suffice.)
We saw many paintings, including the Mona Lisa and this one of Napoleon.
HUGE.
Two of the many things for which I am thankful is to have boys who enable us to spend hours in the Louvre and a husband with a great job.
One of the highlights of Paris for me was this lunch. Notre Dame was out the window over my shoulder. The boys tried foie gras and liked it. We all enjoyed real french onion soup and other yumminess. The place reminded me of my mom's old place. They happened to play the only song I remember from High School French class. We were sitting and enjoying time together. The owner and waiter were amazingly kind. I'll stop there.
Sometimes you have to find a place to play tag and sometimes that place is in front of the Parthenon.
If you have seen "Midnight in Paris" (which we watched in Spanish on the bus) you will understand that we were waiting for the old car to come and take us back in time. Paul (Pablo) wanted to meet Picasso. Micah wanted to meet Dali. Sam wanted to meet Hemmingway.
They waited for a surprisingly long time for an imaginary car to come.
One of the results of our love snuck into our romantic picture on the love-lock bridge.
Thanks again, Jill, for the Pompidou sculpture garden suggestion.
I think some French fellow wants to sneak into our family. As far as friendliness of the French is concerned, I was thrilled to receive so many smiles and warm welcomes.
I think it might have had something to do with these clowns.
I wonder if the Valley Mall will look like this mall after its renovations.
Anthony's highlight was being here at Sacré Coeur. I am sorry that I don't have a good picture of the view of the Paris skyline from where we were standing. Inside Sacré Coeur, the sun was streaming through the stained-glass windows onto the wall with strategically placed gold tiles and a tricky rainbow. The painting in the front of the church displayed Jesus looking strong and powerful.
No comments:
Post a Comment