Before everyone gets too excited about hearing about Megan's sin, the title is en Español and sadly means without Megan. While Megan was on her trip to Oaxaca, it was just the Tongen boys. Also sadly, this means that I (Anthony) am writing this blog and so your expectations should be VERY low!!
The good news is we (the Tongen boys) had a great time while Megan was away, but we missed her greatly. We celebrated the fourth of July at my sister's house.
We did our best Megan impersonation by taking a hike at McConnells Mill State Park.Micah helped out Grandpa Doug with some mowing - his first time driving a lawn mower!
We went on a short hike at Cooks Forest State Park . . .
to get to this wonderful view . . .
from the top of this old fire tower!
We also got to hang out with the Burens' family in da 'Burgh (Pittsburgh). Vince (who was my roommate in college before he went and became famous) and his wife Lori often let me be their third wheel in college. This time, Vince, Lori, Mia, and Tessa let us be their 5th-8th wheels! We all had a great time at the Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History (two places Vince and I never got close to in our time at Pitt.) Below are five little paleontologists.
If it is possible to look past the 5 adorable kids, in the background of this picture is the Heinz Chapel where Vince and Lori were married a few years ago. The Tongen boys had a great time walking around the Pitt campus and ended their time at the Petersen Events Center playing a little imaginary basketball. Micah has now started saying he wants to go to Pitt, so does anyone want to call Jamie Dixon or Paul Chryst now?(Please don't get me started about Pitt football this year.)
Unfortunately, I also had to be sin (without) Megan soon after arriving in Colima to attend an orientation in Mexico City for my Fulbright award. It was really hard to leave my family in a new place in a different country for 4 full days, but we survived. The picture below is during the reception at the United States Ambassador to Mexico's house. I got to talk with Anthony Wayne for a good 30 seconds and I even managed to look him in the eyes (see http://www.aswinvanwoudenberg.com/index.php/2009/02/20/whats-the-difference-between-an-introvert-and-an-extrovert-mathematician/ for the math joke behind the previous comment).
I also really enjoyed seeing Teotihuacan. The picture below is taken from the Pyramid of the Moon towards the Pyramid of the Sun.
The picture below shows the climb to get up the Pyramid of the Moon.
That was nothing compared to the climb to get on top of the Pyramid of the Sun.
But the view towards the Pyramid of the Moon was well worth the climb.
We then went to eat a late lunch at La Gruta (http://www.lagruta.com.mx/), which is a Mexican restaurant in a cave. It was probably the coolest restaurant I have ever been to. (Most of you will take that comment with a grain of salt considering I am far from a restaurant connoisseur.) I highly recommend it if you happen to be in Mexico City.
The next day we went to Palacio Nacional and below is my favorite mural by Diego Rivera, because it is a picture of Colima. I guess I shouldn't say it is my favorite, but I took so many pictures and I thought I should post just one of them.
We then went to the Templo Mayor, which is an excavation site right in the middle of Mexico City. Below is a depiction of what Mexico City looked like many years ago. Let me tell you that there are a few more houses and a lot less water laying around these days. It is the second or third most populous city in the world, after all.
Below is my best attempt to capture the archaeological dig right in the middle of an urban environment.
I feel like I need to tie this back to sin Megan, but the good news is that I am now con (with) Megan and the boys and we are having a great time in Mexico! Don't worry, Megan is back on the job for the next blog post. Thanks for reading!!
No comments:
Post a Comment