Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Looking for Loons


While Anthony was at "Mathfest" (feel free to chuckle -- I often do!) the boys and I got to explore the incredible, free zoo in Madison, Wisconsin.

Clearly, this giraffe was looking for a loon and found Paul!

Micah's wingspan matches that of . . . a loon!

Paul loved watching the real penguins, but I think he preferred the fun of pretending to be one.

The highlight of Madison for me was getting to catch up with Rochelle Grabher, a friend from our Trinity days! I got to mentor Rochelle when she and her husband were Anthony's students. It should go without saying that my friend Rochelle is NOT a loon!
As soon as our beloved loony mathematician was done at Mathfest, he got to sit and talk with his dad. We had a wonderful visit with Harold on Minnesota's playgrounds!
Yes, we've had an abundance of animal statues in this post and not a single loon one! Harold is such a sweet grandfather/"Papa" to Micah and Paul. It is very clear that all three of them love each other very much.

A common sight from our time with Harold was Papa listening to Micah talk.
Maybe it is strange that I really like this picture since Paul isn't smiling, but when his stomach hurts (thanks to the return of his diarrhea for a few days) we see this sweet, sad face often. This picture was taken at the start of the Mississippi, while we were looking for loons.
Can you guess what we found when Harold's generous parishioner took us out in his boat on White Sand Lake? Micah can still imitate their unique call.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you got to go to the Madison zoo - isn't it great! It's one of our favorite places to visit.